Sunday, August 15

Just a normal night on the job...

I currently work nights at a care home, Me, myself, and 13 residents. You would think that they would sleep through the night, but noooooooooooooooooooooooo, honestly its kind of like babysitting 13 kids, except their all over the age of 70... usually they are ok but tonight was just one of those nights...

When I arrived this evening, the day staff said there was a minor medical emergency, one resident had fallen (totally biffed it, bending her glasses too), and was going to need to go in for stitches... well that started it, because everyone was a little off after that...
Pat wouldnt change into her pj's until later, Margaret was concerned about the red light that kept going by her window (her window faces the back yard, and there was nothing there), and the "animal" that was at my feet (at least I didnt leave my dog behind this time), and didnt want her pills, but was concerned about my guy McMillian, apparently he was sick and she didnt want to catch it (BTW I currently do not know ANYONE named McMillian)... Anne was very upset and concerned for Agatha...

But I finally got everyone to bed, medications given, food prep done, and I was just sitting down to start working on school when Marjorie comes into the kitchen... Doesnt want anything, just wandering around she said.... So I put her back to bed, checked on Kate and Hugh (the one couple living here), and headed back to the kitchen... Not 20 minutes later, Marjorie comes back into the kitchen as happy as can be, just wanting to look around... It took longer to get her back to bed this time...

Then at about 10 Agatha got back, 3 stitches later, we got her pj's on and put her to bed. She is going to have one whopper of a black eye... but they did manage to fix her glasses... put her to bed, but left the light on for her,a nd the door open, she didnt want the dark tonight...

after that it was pretty quiet till about 2, when I did another check on everyone, Vivienne was up and thought she was going to throw up (just what I wanted to hear) so I ran and got her an ice cream pail, and then we got her back to bed... everyone was sleeping soundly, and I did my cleaning for the night.
I had a load of laundry in the washer, one in the dryer and the dishwasher going so I couldnt hear little noises, but I did hear something clang down stairs... so I went to investigate

Pat and May are watching the weather channel (the ONLY channel they ever want to watch down there, they will sit and watch it all day apparently), and chatting, so I went to put them back to bed, and I hear the noise again, and go to find Celina trying to make a U-turn in the bathroom with her wheelchair, and shes just not quite clearing the door, so she's doing the back and forth a little at a time to try and get herself out of there (think a teenager learning to paralell park, or reverse out of a parking space).... of course May has to see that celina gets back to bed, and tells Celina she shouldnt be out so late...

So now everyones back to bed, and I have about another 1/2 hour before I need to start making breakfast and getting everything ready for tomorrow... I cant wait to see what kind of stuff happens at breakfast...

Maybe it just seems funny to me, or maybe its the fact that its 430am, but I sometimes feel like im stuck in a really weird comedy... But its fun, and I have to say, quit any bad habits you have now, because when youre older, they come out with a vengence, but thats a post for another time...

No comments: