Since I had Friday off, I dropped my mom off at work and then went to Value Village, Salvation Army, and Fabricland. In my travels I bought a hoodie, three long sleeved t-shirts, three pairs of pants and a dress, along with various other sewing items (ribbon, trim blablabla)... When I got home I went straight to work ripping things apart. I also had to finish some already started items for Roo, so I also worked on those. Although I wanted to so badly just work on the new stuff....
So for the pants I took apart the inside seams and opened them all the way up to the zipper in the front, and about as high, in some cases higher, in the back.. then I folded the now flappy parts over, sewed, filled in the empty space, and VIOLA! I have a skirt, that in my opinion looks just as good as something I would buy at the store, these ones I left unfinished, but they can be finished as well... The nice thing about the whole pants thing is that I can make the skirt nice and long, and I can really play with how I fill the space... Here are 3 skirts that I did like that:
This one I just folded the flaps and filled the front and back
This one I chopped off the legs to make it shorter, and then made the front straight so I only had to fill the back, this makes the skirt more pencil like instead of A-line. Which I found out later works better for shorter skirts instead of longer skirts! (I also have to say after wearing this one for the past couple of days that it is THE most comfortable jean skirt that I own, and that I will be making more of these for sure!)
And this one is my favorite, Im trying to decide if I want to re do the front so that I can take larger steps, or make the ruffle in the back higher... Of course it took the longest to make, but I now have a better idea of what I'm gettin myself into! This one I took apart, Did the front straight (which I may have to change due to the limited walking space), and then cut the back so that it was in a U shape, and then filled it in with the brown ruffles... The back is actually a peice of rectangle brown fabric, with straight peices of brown tshirt and stretch lace, cut and then um, well made ruffly... lol and then added to the fabric. The ruffle comes down just a little bit longer than the hem of the denim. This one is still a work in progress but I love it none the less!
The tshirts are easier but harder at the same time.... Ive only done one so far because I was so excited about the pants, but they can be a little bit more time consuming, because of the stuff that I'm to sew on. This one is for Roo, its purple and matches some of the decorative stitching on the back pockets of her skirt... The stems are made of an iron on jeweled thing. It comes in a strip like a ribbon, in a line of three, but I cut it so they were in singles, and then made it do what I wanted it to do. Because they are being applied to a stretch material shirt, I also zig zagged with gold embroidery thread (which is not supposed to be used for regular sewing may I add), so that it will have a longer life. Then I free handed the flowers, and sewed with a couple lines so that it has some movement.
Then this hoodie. I can say for a fact that the shirt and hoodie idea came from another website, http://www.etsy.com/shop/evystree, this is where she sells her creations. The hoodie I tried to do the same, or very similar to her, but realized half way through sewing it why my ruffles wern't quite the same, she uses tshirt material, and I was using grosgrain ribbon... Mine still turned out half decent. And the t-shirts I just liked the idea of the whole ruffle add on thing she had going on, so I decided to run with it!
So this post was supposed to go up on Saturday when I actually had them finished, but blogger was being stupid and really didnt want to upload the pictures, so it took until now. I went out again and bought some more tshirts, as well as pants and I will be posting items for purchase very soon on here. Im also going to see about getting an Etsy site started, but Im not for sure about a name quite yet, so we will have to wait and see. If you have any questions or requests let me know! And hopefully Ill be posting some new creations soon!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment