Thursday, February 17
Delivering a baby...
One of the big things that I get asked being a student midwife is "how many babies have you delivered?" I am currently at Zero, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. This is why: I don't deliver the baby at any of the births I have, or will attend. The only time that I will ever actually deliver a baby is when I have one of my own. Like I said, that will remain that way for a while, because Mr Right needs to start getting his act together ;) It may sound weird to view it that way, but why would I take credit for the incredible work that someone elses body is doing? I may, if I am at a birth with a preceptor, catch the baby; but by no means does that mean that I delivered the thing. My job as a future midwife, is not to be high and mighty, I am there as a guest, invited to attend one of the most miraculous events that one can ever witness. It is my job from that invitation to make sure that the parents are educated in every decision that they make, and then will be able to make the best choices for their baby and themselves. My job is to serve the families to the best of my abilities, and give them all of the knowledge and understanding of birth I can give them. I am also their to help them trust in the process of labor, and encourage when things get tough; those are my roles, and if I stick to them the body knows exactly what it is doing and will deliver the baby its self; with absolutely no help from me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment