Wednesday, September 24

Dead Bird Syndrome

Yesterday while driving around the city, I noticed a dead bird on a street near my house. The poor thing had just walked across the road and suddenly become grilled meat.. literally...

Anyways so I kept passing this poor dead birdy and it got me thinking...as it lay there slightly adhered to the pavement, cars driving by, paying no attention, I realized that just like everything else, now that it was "gone" no one really cared anymore... If the bird had of kept swooping in front of traffic, then people would have cared, but since it was dead, it becomes more of an eyesore (or pothole filler) than anything else.

And that triggered another thought (I was doing a lot of thinking yesterday)

How different is that from anything else. Sure it was JUST a bird.... But when someone dies for real they're just gone. Some people leave some type of a mark that may make them remembered for a little while longer, but really everyone is eventually forgotten.

After thinking about that for a little longer.. I realized that I don't want to be like the bird.
(hahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahhhahahahhahaahhahahahah... ahem inside joke) Instead of playing in the traffic trying to make a name for myself and getting the attention that I so desire, I am just going to stay on the sidewalk so to speak, and just hang out until either I can cross, or I'll just keep walking and eventually find a lemonaid stand or something where I can make my small mark on the world.

When you think in history, most people are flash bang. They suddenly show up for some odd reason, have their fifteen minutes of fame and then are forgotten forever. Other people I notice who bide their time and just do their own thing seem to be remembered for much longer.

For example: Most "Stars" of the day are incredibly flash bang, they make their contribution to society, and then when their gone well we forget about them, even if we own their cd or movie, after a few years no one remembers who you were. But if you think of some people like Laura Ingalls Wilder who just did her own thing, bided her time, walked on the sidewalk, and then published her story. When you think about it, she never really did anything, she just lived her life and then decided to tell others about it. Many of her books were not even published until after she died. but her legacy still lives on.

Now ok sure other people do have published books too, but even then most of the time they aren't remembered. and if they are its not in a light of goodness its one of sadness.

So bide your time, say your goodbyes to the poor smushed birdy, and instead of paying attention to the birdys who play in traffic for attention, turn your eyes to the sky and watch the other birds fly. See what mark they are leaving, because I garentee that it will be much more memorable than what the traffic birdies are leaving.

2 comments:

Holley D said...

Be careful, though, when watching the birdies in the sky that they do not leave their mark in your eye ; )

Carlee said...

Lol but its good luck in Italy when that happens!!!!!.. :o) Definitely not my kind of luck.. lol I prefer the farming game...